Sunday, April 20, 2008

RWANDA and media

I saw, "Hotel Rwanda," in 9th grade, either in geography class or in 10th grade US history class (can’t remember). Always being fatigued and exhausted from school work, that time I rolled my brain in order to sleep without being noticed by the teacher. As a result, I only have disconnected memories of that movie.
I thought, people with different ethnicities needs to settle their disdains and discrepancies within each other, and this kind of genocide should never happen again in our time of history.
Since it was the second time watching Hotel Rwanda, I didn’t feel any need to watch this movie again, and I thought I would have a pleasant time sleeping. Ms. Lilo said this movie had something to do with our media unit and I tried to view this movie from a different perspective and mind set from last year.
This time by focusing on the media’s role and coverage, I was able to observe subtle information.

In 1994, 800,000 genocide of Tutsis occurred by the uprising of Hutus, and while killing was going on, the world looked as if they were indifferent to this massacre. “Powerful” and ‘trustworthy’ U.N. being there to settle problems between Hutus and Tutsis were not very efficient in taking control.In the movie, the Hutu radio called the Tutsis, “Cockroaches,” and from the way the VJ talked, I could sense the hatred and discrimination toward the Tutsis.Many people today debates and questions, "How and why this incident happened and how could we have let that happen." One of the reasons why this genocide was kept untreated was that the media misinformed many people and even kept it secret. Mark Doyle, from his interview link said that for several weeks he had been misinformed of this situation and wasn't clear about what was happening until he interviewed the Red Cross and the U.N. soldiers. He couldn't use the word genocide because he did not have enough information.
People rebuked US for not using the word, “Genocide,” in their media, to not get their country involved in Rwanda incident. Anyhow, even though US is a strong country, I don't think they are not the only country who have the responsibility to help out and intervene conflicts.
From the sites that I’ve been through, the two main ideas that people threw out was, Responsibility to protect and foreign interventions. We have the responsibility to protect others who are in adversities and conflicts. So it is our duty to dig for the trustworthy media information, and bring it to action.

No comments: